The Big Switch - Small City Versus Big City

When I moved from Moncton to Toronto, I definitely felt the effects of various stereotypes giving me preconceived notions. I can also say that since living here for over nine months (already?!) that I've had my fair share of uneducated responses to me saying that I am a Maritimer/Acadian/from the East Coast. 


Let me firstly say that the East Coast is more than seafood. I hate seafood, and though I think it's amazing that the Maritimes has that amazing part of it's culture, it's more than the giant Shediac lobster. Also, yes. I am Acadian. Yes I speak French, but it's mainly chiac and you won't understand me so let's not bother.



I moved away because New Brunswick has a lack of opportunity for younger people and let's be real, there isn't a fashion industry in New Brunswick (barely any in the Maritimes in my opinion). I was scared to come here to this cold city where I was told, and made to feel, like you needed to be prepared for people to be blunt and rude. I was scared I'd be totally friendless and people would be mean. 



Then I got here and let me just say, the biggest difference across the board between the East and Toronto is the level of friendliness - but there still is the true Canadian warmth we all know. People still hold open doors, give thank you waves and help older people get onto the subway cars - they just won't strike up a conversation with you about your uncle Jim who runs the Needs on Mountain Road, who loaned his bike to your friend Paul. Toronto is friendly, Moncton is family.

I've also found this when it comes to dating. I hated that there was such a small selection of decent (half-decent...really...) men to date in Moncton. I also hated that everyone knew everyone's dirty laundry because of how fast gossip travels when there's nothing else to do. But there was something nice about going on a date with someone who you could easily find information about. No one is a complete stranger in a smaller city. Here, I'm one face among another few MILLION, so the need to treat me well isn't there because I can be gone in a second. Back home, you had to be good to whoever you dated because someone would tell someone, who'd tell their sister, who'd tell their mom and you were getting your ass whooped for not buying the drinks or opening the car door. Moncton also was close knit enough that you knew what you were getting into. As I said before, gossip travels quickly, so cheating and lying, though it still occurred was very quickly revealed.

Long short I love being able to sit in a bar in Toronto and be any girl I want to be because no one knows me, but I love sitting in Moncton in a bar where there's twenty people and I know every name, every face and what they've been up to in the last three years. I love being able to do what I want and be who I want here without being judged, but sometimes the juicy gossip made a Saturday something to remember. I love always having something to do here but sometimes having nothing to do but drink all day on a Thursday with a group of people (and know that no matter what state you'll be in, you'll be safe) is a craving I have.








I love my Friendly, but sometimes I miss my Family.

Comments

Popular Posts